Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Word

My mission for this blog is to chronicle my journey towards 7-8% body fat by March 1st, 2010. I've picked this goal purely for vanity reasons. I'm an actor living in NYC, and what I've learned in my short time here is that if I want to get the roles I'm interested in, I'm going to get chiseled.

A lot of guys have fitness blogs that follow them as they loose hundreds of pounds. This is not one of those; I'm your typical guy. I tried cutting up a bit in college, but those were only short stints of a month or so as I got bored and quit. At the end of my (5th) senior year, I hit my highest weight of 185. At a height of about 6'1" this wasn't so bad, but why settle for a life of faint man boobs and a muffin top?

June 1st, 2009 I picked up my first Muscle & Fitness magazine, followed their diet plans, and hit the gym a few times a week. This was followed by grabbing the 'Couch to 5k' app for my phone, which over 9 weeks will train you to run a 5k in 30 min. (I never went through the whole program, but it did serve as a good kick start.) I did as much online research as I could, went to the gym 6 times a week, and by the time I moved to NYC in August, had gotten down to 163 lbs and was starting to show some real definition.

I lost most of the muscle mass due to not having a decent gym for the first month or so, but was able to keep off the weight. Since then, I've attained a job at a great commercial chain in Manhattan and plan to truly abuse my free membership (in a good way). Surrounded by a fleet of personal trainers, I hope to get to a single digit b.m.i. in time for audition season.

I don't have hundreds of pounds to lose. I know what I'm doing. I know the diet I need. I have the determination. What I lack is willpower. Heck, I'm cheating on my diet as I write this (about 3 bowls full of mac n' cheese).

Hopefully this blog will inspire someone else who's stuck in that grey area of fitness to get off the couch and do some push ups. It won't be easy, but I hope you all join in with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment